Saturday, April 5, 2008

Working Together Helping Others


I usually like to make our Saturday posts about something family related. The weekends are great times to reconnect in our face paced chaotic world.

I know in our house even with one child in just a few activities, there is little time at night after all of the "have to do" work is done. There are so many demands on our children at such a young age. I don't ever remember homework or coursework like my daughter has in 1st grade.

My husband and I have sponsored a little girl from Columbia for nearly 8 years now. Recently, Faith saw her letter and her latest picture. She asked me about her and I told her that we help her out by sponsoring her. I told her of all the great things that organization does to help her.

She had so many questions and that night said to me that she really wanted to do something. She said she wants to sell something and give the money away to needy children. Like a lemonade stand, I asked? Yes, she said but I have to charge a dollar for everything. We can take all that money and all of your money and give it away to needy children. How profound for a 6 year old.

Thinking about this now, it made me realize that this would be a great activity to "connect" with your family. It doesn't need to be a lemonade stand, but why not volunteer at a soup kitchen, help clean up a park, help an elderly relative--make them dinner or clean up their yard. The ideas are endless and great ways to teach lessons.

Of course, this all brings us back to gratitude and the goal of this type of exercise would be to get at the root of it all and appreciate on a higher level how fortunate we are. No matter how bad you think you have it, someone else is worse off. Take the time to get out and help others. You'll feel good for it.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I've been loving keeping up with your blog. Always inspiring me to be a better person :o)

Deanna said...

We love to hear comments. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know!