Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Live for Today


As Gary Buffone writes in "The Myth of Tomorrow," "The very fact that our time is finite makes living precious. When we exclude the recognition of our end, when we lose sight of the real stakes involved, life becomes impoverished. It becomes easier to develop 'maƱana syndrome' and constantly postpone authentic living. People who presume that there is always tomorrow waste away in unproductive and meaningless jobs, joyless relationships, pointless worries, and vague plans for some distant future."

Don't be one of them. If you need encouragement, John Maxwell, author of "Today Matters," offers a helpful prayer:

Dear Lord, So far today, I am doing alright. I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or self-indulgent. I have not whined, cursed, or eaten any chocolate. However, I am going to get out of bed in a few minutes, and I will need a lot more help after that. Amen.

According to Maxwell, "People create success in their lives by focusing on today. It may sound trite, but today is the only time you have. It's too late for yesterday. And you can't depend on tomorrow. That's why today matters."

No comments: