Friday, April 11, 2008

Pumping Out the Positive


I typically get my gas a local gas station. It's really small, but a long time family owned business. It's full serve and after a while you get to become friendly with the attendants.

The attendant that usually fills my tank is always so nice and friendly--even on a rainy day. Last week, I filled up on Friday which was a cold drizzley day. I pulled up as I normally do and rolled my window down. I got my customary friendly greeting, "How are you today?" "Great!" I said. "I just wish it wasn't raining--but it's okay--it's a great day!" Well, we got into a conversation about this and I learned that this man who pumps gas is an avid gardener and loves to be outside. He loves looking at the positive side of life and spreads that sunshine to others. How remarkable! I felt like I found this gem in of all places, a small town gas station!

I was very struck by this last week and tabled it as something to write about. Well, today I needed to fill up again and there was the friendly gas attendant. I asked him if he was outside working yesterday on that fabulously warm day. He declared that he was with much excitement and said that he is just loving being outside and digging in the dirt. His passion for the outdoors was pouring out. I felt so happy for him!

I left as I always do, with a smile on my face. I found it truly remarkable that there are many people who come across this man's path and they probably don't get "it." The "it" I refer to is this attitude. How amazing it is to look at life this way--it's so much richer even if your checkbook tells you different.

I encourage you to take a look around you. You probably have one of these "gems" in your life that you encounter on a regular basis. Open your eyes to it, it's amazing what you can learn.

With deepest gratitude,
Deanna

No comments: