Thursday, April 10, 2008

Giving Back


Last night was Idol Gives Back on American Idol. Judy and I both enjoy watching American Idol, although I must admit I'm so busy these days that this year I haven't been watching regularly. My neighbor reminded me yesterday that last night was the Idol Gives Back episode, so I made sure to tune in.

Last year, we had Faith watch it with us so that she could understand how fortunate we are and see how to help others less fortunate. She was so moved last year by seeing as she called them, "the needy children" from Africa. She was stunned to see that some of them had no clothes or shoes.

We had her watch with us again last night and she was glued to the tv with us. I was watching it and planning to donate at some point during the night. When they got to the segment on the children from Africa, I was moved to run to my laptop and make my donation. I was brought to tears by the little family of 4 boys who lost both of their parents to HIV. The eldest was only about 15 and he looked so sad. Annie Lenox, who was the celebrity featured in this segment, was profoundly moved to tears (as was I) when she left the boys who were happily tested to be HIV negative.

I believe that this is a wonderful way to see all parts of the world and our country and the need that exists. I know it made us appreciate more deeply what we have. Faith turned to me towards the end and said, "so you mean some people don't have a fireplace, a couch, a tv, or a rug?" Some don't I said. It certainly puts into perspective the things we take for granted.

We have such a wonderful life to be grateful for! It feels good to know that you have and can help others in this way.

You can still donate to this cause by going to www.americanidol.com. Check it out or decide to help someone in your own way.

Deanna

No comments: