Monday, April 7, 2008

The Simplicity of Sweet Sunshine


I write today sitting in my office with the sun beaming through my three big windows. I can see the ground to the beautiful sky. It's such a warm feeling!

Thinking of something as simple as the sunshine, reminded me of this passage from the Louise Hay book that I have mentioned before, "Gratitude a Way of Life." Sylvia Friedman, a contributor to the book, writes:

"I have always been impressed with the song "The Best Things in Life Are Free." Gratitude is free--there is no cost. Nature's miracles, such as the flowers in bloom, the leaves when they turn bright colors in the fall, or the sky when it's blue, remind us of the simples pleasures in life. I remember a friend of mine who was going through a very sad time telling me: "I'm thankful when the sun is shining, as it gives me a positive feeling." I smiled and told her, "The sun shines not on us, but in us."

Today my gratitude is for these simple things that we often overlook or take for granted.

1. I am most grateful for the beautifully unexpected warm day we had Saturday.
2. I am most grateful for the radiant sunshine today.
3. I am most grateful for the beautiful blue sky with the puffy white pillow like clouds. It's such a pretty sight.
4. I am most grateful to breathe crisp fresh air.
5. I am most grateful for my senses which allow me to take all of this in.

All of this reminded me of the years I spent teaching painting classes. When we started painting landscapes I would tell my students that when they look at nature now they will see things differently. When I first studied perspective, I remember how driving down the road seemed different to me. I could appreciate the perspective of driving down that road and what was ahead. I then could translate that into a picture.

Most days, it's easy to find the big or obvious things to be grateful for. Take some time today to contemplate those small things that may not be as obvious. You will soon have a greater appreciation for those simple things.

With deep gratitude,
Deanna

1 comment:

CnicoleM said...

Hello there!

I thought you might be interested in a project that some cohorts and I have recently started called 30 days of Gratitude. For the month of November 2009 everyone involved will submit a gratitude a day (each day we will have a theme) on the website that we are currently building. We're doing this in hopes of uplifting everyone involved, and spreading the power of gratitude to as many people as possible. Our website, although up, is not perfected quite yet, but we are contacting speacial people like you, who we think can help to spread word of this project.

I would love to hear from you, I'll include my email address and will give you more information on our project!!

Have a wonderful day!
Crystal@30daysofgratitude.org