Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Trials of Being a Mom


My sister gave me a beautiful Mother's Day card. The artist is Mara Berendt Friedman. Her paintings honor the Feminine aspect of Spirit and draw inspiration from cultures around the world, from the cylce of the season and from universal symbols and form.

The card my sister gave me had a beautiful illustration on it. Here's what it said:

Mabuddha of Compassion

woman of mercy blossoms within every heart
tender and strong, you heal what tears apart
you offer your children love nectar pure...
easing their pain with compassion's kind cure

Ma--Mother Buddha--Awakened one, awakening


I really thought about this in light of some recent trials I've had as a mom. I often think how hard it is to be a mother today! We have so many more things to protect our children from today than even when I grew up...not to mention any physical ailments that we may have to contend with. Instinctively, though, we just do it--we do what we have to do without a thought...it's just what we do. We are protectors.

So, to all my girls out there reading this who get it and do what they are called to do as mother's--I honor you and I thank you...as this is the hardest, but most rewarding job ever.

In gratitude,
Deanna

2 comments:

Jen said...

Thankfully, we DO just do what needs doing. If I stopped to think about all the things I need to do as a Mom I think I'd be nervous breakdown material ;o)

Thanks for sharing Deanna! And a Happy belated Mother's Day!

Walt-New York said...

Wonderful thoughts on a beautiful card Deanna...the world is not what it was when any of us...who are now parents...were growing up...the is so much more information...so many more distractions...the world is much smaller and the pressures to our children are greater...

From what I can see in your posts...you are a wonderful Mother and you are...as all Mothers are...to be commended for doing the most important job in the world...