Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Feel Good Stuff

I recently stumbled upon a fabulous magazine during my time on-line. The magazine is called Guideposts. It's tagline is "true stories of hope and inspiration." It's a wonderful little digest size, quick reading, throw in your bag kind of magazine.

It features real stories of everyday people and usually one prominent or celebrity type of person. I just got my first two issues. The June issue, which features the story of Bobby Flay, has a section called "Pass It On: People Helping People."

One of the stories really resonated with me and I wanted to share it with you:

TWIN GREETINGS


I was an 82-year-old widower trying to cope with changes and new challenges in my life when a family moved into the house across the street from me--a mother and her adorable twin 10-year-old daughters.

One day I heard a knock at the door. The twins were standing there on my porch. "We brought you something," one said, smiling at me. It was a little pamphlet of recipes. I thought it was such a nice way of introducing themselves--and since my wife had been the cook in our marriage, I sure could use the recipes! And this wasn't just a one-time gesture.

The holidays came around and the girls brought homemade cookies--and told me just how their mother had made them.

After such a great loss, a blessing came into my life in the form of thoughtful new neighbors.

Now I hope that they will know just how much their good deeds mean to me.

Donald Manley
Lincoln, Nebraska

What a sweet story. I see two lessons here--the first being that you need to be open and you never know who will appear in your life or what they are to teach you--second, what a great example these girls are that something small--just a simple gesture can mean so much.

Enjoy your day!

In gratitude,
Deanna

No comments: